After Surgery and Hair Loss in Women
All of us lose a certain amount of hair every single day. However, we barely notice this normal rate of hair loss, which are approximately a hundred strands each day. There are certain factors that influence rapid hair loss, and one potential factor is major surgery. Hair loss after surgery affects men and women alike, and it is one way through which the body reacts to the trauma that the major operation causes.
While hair loss due to surgery is quite common, a lot of people remain unaware of this kind of problem until it actually happens to them. People are rarely given advance warnings on the possibility of shedding a large amount of hair after going through a surgical procedure. This kind of hair loss is also often overlooked because it hair does not begin to rapidly shed until two or three months after the surgery.
Hair Loss after Surgery: Telogen Effluvium
In the normal growth cycle of hair, hair grows or develops before it enters a resting period or telogen phase until finally sheds. Telogen effluvium refers to hair loss after surgery, wherein hair rapidly enters the telogen phase due to shock that the body experiences after undergoing a major surgery. After a surgical procedure, bodily resources get redirected so they can assist in healing the surgical area. This can cause the body to temporarily shut down hair production, knowing that hair production is not really essential to survival. In a normal hair growth sequence, about 85% of hair is in the growth stage. The remaining 15% is in the resting or shedding stage. In telogen effluvium, most of the hair retreat into the resting phase where they begin to shed about two to three months later. As the condition lasts longer, the more does the ratio change.
Medications, anesthesia, and other medical procedures can also trigger hair loss. The use of antibiotics for certain illnesses and surgical procedures can also bring about unwanted conditions that can trigger hair loss, especially if intestinal flora that antibiotic use has destroyed is not restored.
Hair typically stays in telogen stage for about 2 to 4 months before hair growth finally resumes. Most people do not usually start to notice hair loss after surgery until about 2 to 3 months after they have undergone a surgical procedure. New hair that is already growing typically pushes back the resting hair. However, it can take about 6 months or even a year before the hair can grow back to its natural fullness.
Getting Hair Back through Proper Diet
Hair loss after surgery usually reverses itself without the need for any medical intervention. Nor does the re-growth process require the use of over-the-counter treatments or tonics for hair loss. What is important is for you to maintain a diet that is rich in iron and protein. This kind of diet is deemed to help in promoting and speeding up the growth of healthy hair. It is recommended to add iron and protein rich foods into your diet like beans, salmon, spinach, eggs, nuts, whole-grain cereals, and broccoli. You will also need to stay away from foods that are believed to inhibit hair growth like those that have high levels of fat and caffeine.